The Pro Wrestling League - PWL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pro Wrestling League - PWL

An Xbox 360 League for the WWE 2k14 Video Game!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Some tips on writing a good promo

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MercilessEarth
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
MercilessEarth

Some tips on writing a good promo Empty
PostSubject: Some tips on writing a good promo   Some tips on writing a good promo Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:05 am

I don't claim to be a master of promo writing. Far from it. But I do enjoy writing them, and I thought i'd share some of the techniques you can (and sometimes really should) employ when writing a promo for your character.

1) Never have your character state upon his or her debut that they are the best/unbeatable. This sets you up for immediate issues should you lose a match. Only after attaining a long winning record should a statement like that be made, unless you have a backup plan to use in the event of a loss.

2) Never come straight into the league and say you are challenging for the title. Or any title for that matter. It is very common for a new superstar to set their goals clearly upon debuting, but all too often the goal is "to win the championship". If possible, try to add something more to the character, something that sets them apart rather than just aspiring to be a champion.

3) Never mention wrestlers that aren't actively employed (in use by other players) in the league, as it just creates confusion and seems out of place. Remember that PWL takes place in a universe all of it's own, so if HHH isn't on the roster, The Rock shouldn't be calling him out for a match this week on Impact.

4) Be descriptive about locations of promos, the actions your character is taking during promos (facial expressions, what hes doing while talking, etc), and crowd/commentator reactions to what is happening in the promo. It just makes it feel that much more real.

5) Use pictures if possible to make the promo more appealing to the eye and more descriptive. Also, if your superstar is entering or exiting the arena, why not put a link to their theme song into the promo?

6) Remember to colour coordinate for each different person that is speaking in a promo. It's just easier to read and understand that way.

7) Never write in parts for anybody else's character unless you have their prior approval to do so. Also, don't challenge someone in a promo out of the blue. Do so in a message to that user, and then if they accept, put out a promo with that challenge.

8 ) Keep in mind that the acting commentators in PWL are Taz and Michael Cole, so JR and the King shouldn't be talking in your promos as commentators.

9) Don't stress over promo length. Just write what you feel is enough to get the message that you want to convey across. Anything more than that may feel forced, so just keep it simple if you want it to be simple. Keep in mind that even simple promos can be excellent if done with care.

10) Make a mention about some of the other ongoing events in the league. It makes the league seem more like a real community, and it's nice to have a link between all the superstars.

11) Remember to re-read a promo of yours once or twice to check for spelling and grammar issues. It's always best when a promo is easy to read and has been given proper care. It shows too.

12) Leave feedback on fellow users' promos. It's nice to know someone is reading, and even just a simple "good promo" comment is better than pure silence. We're a community here, and we should try to build on eachother's work to make it the best it can be.

Well, that's all i've got for now. These aren't rules obviously, just tips. But we should all really be doing atleast one promo every couple weeks, if not one a week. It's not hard, and it shows you are engaged in the league and care whats happening. Anyway thats all I guess for now.
Back to top Go down
Matt Wall
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
Matt Wall

PostSubject: Re: Some tips on writing a good promo   Some tips on writing a good promo Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:28 pm

All valuable tips. Thanks for writing this up, Manic. Sticky'd.
Back to top Go down
Jon Raubbe Van-Dam
Midcarder
Midcarder

PostSubject: Re: Some tips on writing a good promo   Some tips on writing a good promo Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:17 pm

These are some good tips dude, I'll be sure to remember them for future promos.
Back to top Go down
Xenmas
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder
Xenmas

PostSubject: Re: Some tips on writing a good promo   Some tips on writing a good promo Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:38 pm

If there's one thing Merciless can do, it's write a promo. Sure as hell can't wrestle Wink

I'd say this man has the credentials so listen to him!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some tips on writing a good promo   Some tips on writing a good promo Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Some tips on writing a good promo
Page 1 of 1